Friday, September 01, 2006

Writer's Write

My title phrase has been everywhere in my life for the past week. I'm reading a Stephen King book called Lisey's Story, which features a big-time writer as the supporting main character, and again and again throughout the work the phrase "Writer's Write" appears. Then, in my Monday night writer's group meeting, the phrase also came up several times, and not from me.

One of the points of the phrase, as discussed in King's book and in my group, was that unless writer's write they feel...incomplete, or anxious, or frustrated. They literally have to write. I've always felt this way, at least since I began writing fiction regularly in 1988. I think, however, that I find it easier psychologically to take time off from writing these days than I did three or four years ago. I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Could it mean that I'm losing some of my drive to write? What I do know is that moving into a new house, basically into a new life, would seem to be a good time for some soul searching. I hope you forgive me if I do some of the searching here.

1 comment:

Sidney said...

That reminds me of an epigram from Faulkner used in Harlan Ellison's "Stalking the Nightmare":

"...an artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't usually know why they chose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why."