Monday, November 27, 2006

Synchronicity

There have been a lot of synchronicities in my life recently. I mentioned here the "shank" coincidence. There have been many others. Two occurred just this weekend. First, I was telling my son yesterday about a video I'd seen at least a year or two ago in which two men riding a motorcycle had hit a truck with poles in the back and a pole had pierced both of them, locking them together but without killing them. Last night, when I returned home after dropping Josh off with his mom, Lana was watching a new "caught-on-video" show. The video of the two men and the pole showed a few minutes after I sat down with her.

Second, I took Josh to look at four-wheelers this weekend and I also checked out the motorcycles. I told Josh how much I missed my bike and started thinking that maybe I should buy another one since I'm living in the country now. This morning I passed a motorcycle wreck on a country road about a mile from my house. Could I take such incidents as warnings? Should I? A year ago I would have laughed at such a thought. Now, I don't know.

I used to think that I lived a step out of phase with the rest of the world, judging by my day to day experiences with such things as traffic and work. I imagined myself in a sort of "Wink of the Eye" scenario, like from the original Star Trek episode of that name. Somehow, the sudden increase in synchronicities seems to suggest that I'm starting to phase back in.

The world gets weirder. At least my world does.

4 comments:

Sidney said...

Things like that are kind of eerie. I've also discovered on many occasions I'll run into a person one time after I've met them then never again. I wrote an article once about a man who saved another from a house fire. I saw the rescuer a month or so later at a festival then never again. That's been true on many other occasions.

It's just random chance I guess, and I've never quite figured out what to do with that fictionally but it's often seemed kind of strange to me, at least in retrospect.

Charles Gramlich said...

I think you can't really use it in fiction because it seems so "unlikely." In some ways, fiction has to be realer than real life, or at least feel that way.

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I envy you. My ex wife never even let me consider riding a motorcycle. Actually, my friends sort of stepped in and stopped me, too.

They also stopped me from getting a straight edge razor when I thought it would be a cool thing to own.

Sidney said...

Yeah, straight razors probably aren't a good idea excpet for book covers.

My friend had a motorcycle when I was in college and my parents threw a fit when they heard I'd been riding it.

Then I learned later my dad rode a motorcycle all over whatever island of Hawaii he was on during World War II.

They were neither here nor there about straight razors. They were just happy if I shaved at all.