Yesterday, as part of my work on the David Morrell article, I did a detail scan on First Blood and a few others of Morrell's books that I read years ago. First Blood is, of course, the book in which Rambo first appeared. I enjoyed that book when I read it back in the late 70s, but it's amazing, although not unexpected, how many details that I'd forgotten. Part of the source of my forgetfulnes of the book is, naturally, the movie made from the book starring Sylvester Stallone. Here are some things I'd forgotten.
1. Rambo's first name is never given in the book. It is in the movie that we get "John. J."
2. Rambo is taken out of town "twice" by the sheriff and returns a third time before all the crap hits the fan, thus making him somewhat less sympathetic.
3. Rambo does not escape from the police station with a knife in the book.
4. Rambo was raised Catholic.
5. Rambo's mother died of cancer when he was young, and his father was an abusive alcoholic. Rambo shot his father at one time with a bow and arrow.
6. Rambo worked in a garage before joining the military.
7. Rambo gets clothes from some moonshiners in the book.
8. Rambo kills a lot more people in the book.
Interesting how the memory works. Or, fails to work.