Sunday, August 22, 2021

The Silas Shoes

Who could have thought that one of my favorite memories of all time would involve tennis shoes. Here’s a picture of mine. I love the Velcro straps, a real boon to an old man like me. But that’s not the memory. 

A few months back we were babysitting our beautiful grandson, Silas. I’ve mentioned before how sweet he is. On this day, he wanted to play in the backyard so I slipped on my shoes. But it’s not easy for me to bend all the way over from a standing position to fasten the straps. Silas, on his own, without any prompting, bent down and fastened the straps on both shoes for me. Of course, he’s a lot closer to the ground than I am. But he wasn’t even two years old yet.

 I told Lana this morning that I was never going to be able to get rid of these shoes. Every time I put them on I get a big grin on my face as I remember Silas helping out his grandpa. Below is a picture of the little cutey, taken by his mom, Heidi. Sure am glad I’m still around to see him growing.



5 comments:

Snowbrush said...

That's a lovely memory, Charles. I have no grandchildren, and my children are all cats. As wonderful as they are, they're not terribly helpful except when it comes to killing flies.

Unknown said...

snowbrush, yes, I am so pleased every time I think of it

Jeff said...

Good memories! Sounds like being a granddad is a calling for you.

Unknown said...

Jeff, it's just wonderful. I only wish we could spend more time with him

Angie said...

Cute kid, and a great memory. :)

Angie