Friday, September 04, 2020

The Black Rose


There's a long tradition in pulp fiction of the masked avenger, the individual who dispenses justice at the point of a sword or through the barrel of a gun when the authorities can't or won't. From the western/historical genre we have Zorro, the Lone Ranger, The Masked Rider (Hobart),  and others. From the thriller pulps we see such characters as The Shadow, The Spider, The Phantom, and more.  From comics we have Batman, Daredevil, and a host of others. One thing you don't see outside of the rare comic (I can't think of any off the top of my head although I'm sure there's at least one out there) is a masked avenger who is also a woman.

Enter Catalina Christina Rivera--The Black Rose. If I had to draw comparisons, I'd say the Black Rose is most similar to Zorro. But in reality she combines elements of all kinds of masked heroes with a modern pacing. This is the first book in the series and is a lot of fun. Fast action, interesting character with a fascinating back story, a great supporting cast, and headlong pacing. I highly recommend it.

Great cover too!  If you want it, here's the link

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Like Zorro? Maybe it's time we also had a masked woman in a movie.

Chap O'Keefe said...

Aren't we forgetting here Les Savage Jr.'s masked heroine Senorita Scorpion? As Will Murray has aptly commented, "Her exploits rode of America's newstands like a wasp-stung mustang."

sage said...

Sounds interesting, Charles. But if her eyes are seen, can image recognition learn her identity?

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Unknown said...

Alex, there's been a bit of interest in the character already I've heard.

Chap, I knew there must have been one. I've never heard of her but I didn't imagine this was truly the first.

Sage, these are set in the early 1900s. kind of a western/historical!

Unknown said...

Chap, I'm going to order some Senorita Scorpion!

David Cranmer said...

This is right up my pulp alley—looking forward to the adventure!