Saturday, January 02, 2016

Some Favorite Reads of 2015

I tend to read a lot of books and oftentimes the years kind of run together. Fortunately, Goodreads, where I review all my reads these days, keeps the records that I don’t have handy myself. Here are some of my favorite reads for 2015. There’s no particular order here. And it’s not comprehensive. These are just some of the books that have stayed with me.  I’ve included links to Amazon here but if you want to see my complete reviews, they are all on Goodreads.

Miles to Lost Dog Creek, by Ron Scheer: We lost Ron this year. Wish he were still around to write more fine westerns like this.


Wanderings on Darker Shores, by Cora Pop: A really delightful collection of short stories and poetry in the darker vein.

Uncle Tom’s Children, by Richard Wright: A thought provoking set of stories.


A Dog’s Life, by Ann M. Martin: I’ve always been a sucker for animal stories.


 Resonance: Dark and Light, by Bruce Boston: Great speculative poetry collection. A big influence on some of the poetry I’ve been trying to write lately.


Prodigal, by Steve Malley:  Gotta have a little ass kicking in one’s reading year.


Herokia 1: Dragon Eaters, by Janet Morris (Contributor and editor): A collection of dragon stories, of all different kinds. Good stuff. 


Web of Gunsmoke, by Will Hickok: Another great western tale.


Claimed by the Enemy, Shauna Roberts: Great historical fiction. 


19 comments:

sage said...

Ron is missed--the work he did on cataloging Westerners and Western terms is invaluable to the genre. I should read his fiction and Cora's book has been on my tbr pile too long.

Aimlesswriter said...

I wanna check out that dog book!
Good list.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, I feel like reading all of them. Good covers.

Cloudia said...

Thanks Charles

Greg said...

Nice list, I'll have to check some of those out. Bruce Boston is the only one I've read anything by before.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, absolutely.

Aimlesswriter, told from the stray's point of view, which I thought would be hard but it worked.

Prashant, yes, some very good ones.

Cloudia, no prob.

Greg, Cora Pop also does a lot of spec poetry

RTD said...

D'ya know what I like most about your blog? You're eclectic interests in literature impresses the hell out of me. Your end-of-year list gives me several titles that I want to explore further. Thanks!

Oscar Case said...

That's some fine reading, Charles. I will be reading the westerns as time goes by. Thanks.

Charles Gramlich said...

R.T. I'm much more constrained on the types of music I listen to and the kinds of foods I eat, but I've always wanted to read just about everything.

Oscar, I've got a feeling 2016 is going to be a western reading year for me.

Shauna Roberts said...

Thanks for including my novel, Charles. Some of the others look interesting, so I'm printing out your list to put in my 2016 reads.

Vesper said...

It's a real honor to be part of your list, Charles. Thank you! I'll have to find the other books - your recommendations have always been right on for me. :-)

BernardL said...

Intriguing list. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Shauna, all good stuff.

Vesper, no prob. Good stories and poems.

Bernard, more good reading to come this year. Gotta love that.

Neil A. Waring said...

Nice list. Think I will give Ron's title a read, he was a good online friend. Think I will list and review what I read on Goodreads also this year. I am starting slow half way through my first book.

Charles Gramlich said...

Neil, I like goodreads. It has some nice statistical breakdowns for you as well.

Riot Kitty said...

I'm always interested in what fellow blog friends are reading, especially when I haven't read any of them.

Charles Gramlich said...

Riot kitty, good thing there are a lot of good books out there.

jodi said...

Charles-is that you on the horseback on the top book cover?


Charles Gramlich said...

Jodi, not quite. :)