Wednesday, November 01, 2006

James Sallis Assignment

I've mentioned the writer James Sallis here before. I've just been assigned to write a fairly in-depth article about him for a new Salem Press reference project. I sat up the file for the project last night and will probably work slowly on it for a while, doing a little bit at a time. My deadline for the piece is not until January. I could probably have gotten a few more assignments if I'd requested them, but with all that's going on now I wasn't sure I'd have time.

Speaking of time, my mom will be celebrating her 90th birthday on November 6. The family is actually going to have a party for her on November 12th. I would love to go to this, and will probably feel guilty if I don't, but it's a 10 hour drive and I have my heaviest class days on Friday the 10th and Monday the 14th. Used to be that 10 hours in the car wouldn't bother me, but after my motorcycle wrecks I tend to get really stiff and have a lot of problems with my neck when I drive even a couple of hours. I'll check out flights, but from where we live now it's also an hour and a half drive just to the airport, and after the move the money is a bit tight. I'm not sure what I'll do.

2 comments:

Valerie Polichar said...

Excited to hear about your upcoming article. I'm a huge fan of Jim's work and I maintain his web site; if I can be of any help to you at all research-wise, please let me know. And best of luck with it!

Charles Gramlich said...

Hi Valerie, thanks for posting. I'm glad you did. I will definitely want to pick your brain as I get into the article. Right now I'm getting together the books of his that I don't have, and am going to sit down and read his "Turner" series. I've read most of the Lew Griffin and the standalone novels, except for "Renderings." I recently posted here about his book, "Drive," which was a stunner.