Sunday, August 06, 2006

Star One Delta Con



Well, I’m fresh back from the Star One Delta Con in Baton Rouge. It was the first annual. Let’s hope there’ll be more. I was told that they’d made it into the black so that probably means there will be more. Attendance wasn’t huge but there were a respectable number of folks there. My first two panels were well attended. My last one was at 6:00 in the evening, though, after a huge thunderstorm, and there were only three people. One of them was not my copresenter, who didn’t show up. Still, we had a good discussion.

I sold a couple of my books and handed out quite a few bookmarks. As usual, I met a lot of good folks. There were at least four PhD’s there, one in astronomy, one in paleontology, one in English, and one in psychology, of course. There was a fellow doing rocket demonstrations, and there was a panel where they showed trailers for upcoming SF releases, many of which had not been previously seen by the general public. They auctioned off guest appearances as a character in the Spiderman 3 novel, the next Predator novel, and in a Star Trek novel. I would have definitely bid on the Predator one where you were to be killed messily, but I had a panel at the same time and had to miss the auction. Sigh!

The dealer’s room was very small, and there are plans to expand that next year. I would have liked to have seen some booksellers but there wasn’t much room for it really. There was a guy selling comics and graphic novels. I bought a set of sword & sorcery comics drawn by Gil Kane.

All in all, I had a great time and would recommend it to anyone. If you’re interested in finding out more about the Star One Delta group, then click here.

Note: Art by Lana Jackman again.

No comments: