Friday, June 03, 2016

Summer

I like teaching. But when summer comes I enjoy not teaching for a while. I enjoy getting enough sleep, being able to read a little, write a lot, sit and look out the window, listen to some music, take a walk, handle chores that I have to fight to get to during the school year. Here's been a typical day for me.

Bed at 2:00 to 2:15. Up with Lana at 8:00 or 8:15. 
Feed the birds, visit blogs, a little facebook time while listening to a little music.
Either fix breakfast of eggs and bacon for Lana, or if time gets away, eat some instafood.
Read over the previous days writing, make corrections if needed. (always needed)
Do some thinking about what comes next.
Take a nap, usually an hour and a half to two hours.
Get up from the nap and hit the writing hard. 2 to 3 hours straight. 
then take a reading break, chores if need be, then back at it.
Lana gets home. We have a walk maybe, or fix supper. Watch some Babylon 5.
Back to writing. Mind is overfull of thoughts and ideas now. 
Running out of steam on the main project now, so fiddle with something new.
Give it up for the evening, play some Skyrim. 

Not a bad way to spend some days.



17 comments:

X. Dell said...

One of the few perks of academia. I remember summers being a chance to kick back and enjoy life a little. They were also times I missed being in the classroom.

Charles Gramlich said...

X. Dell. I'll only miss it when it's about time to start thinking of returning.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the way you end your day!
Considering the insanity of your school year, you deserve time to catch up during the summer.

Charles Gramlich said...

Alex, I agree!

sage said...

Enjoy your summer! I need to carve out more writing time.

Oscar Case said...

I bet the time flies by, too. Not a bad schedule; make sure you get your rest.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, my only issue is the occasional wasting of time.

Oscar, it does. I do catch up on sleep for sure.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, your summer schedule tells me that you're doing things at your own pace, and enjoying it too. Sometimes when I have free time I don't know whether to read or write, and then the free time passes. Damn!

Charles Gramlich said...

Prashant, I play a bit too much video game myself.

the walking man said...

Print this post and read it 5 times a day to prepare you for when August comes.

G. B. Miller said...

Great way to spend the summer: Getting paid for doing nothing of importance, work-wise.

Father Nature's Corner

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sounds a lot like my life since retirement.

BernardL said...

Happiness is indeed being able to enjoy the simple things in life. :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I hope you enjoy your summer break :) I am a teacher as well, but sadly no summer break here in Germany for me since the two schools I work for overlap vacation-wise haha.

Charles Gramlich said...

Mark, I try not to think of August. The season of death.

G.B., true.

Patti, I love the thought of retirement

Bernard, absolutely.

Optimistic, sorry to hear that. I so enjoy the summer

Tom Doolan said...

Allow me a moment of envy. In some ways, I can't wait until my kids are grown. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Tom, all the way along there are good things and not so good