Friday, December 15, 2017

Bill Crider Day

There’s this guy named Bill Crider. You may have heard of him. He’s written a few books.
Well, a whole lot of books

Twenty yeas ago I would only have known Bill through his writing. I still haven’t met him personally. But because of the internet, particularly blogging and facebook, I’ve gotten to know him. Twenty years ago my judgement on Bill would have been: “Solid writer, always entertaining, with a great sense of character and an ability to capture the human qualities of the characters in his stories.” My judgment of Bill today includes that, but much more.

Through the time I’ve know Bill Crider online, he’s suffered through the loss of loved ones and has struggled with severe health issues of his own. He’s up against it now, with those same issues, but I’ve never seen him feel sorry for himself. His basic good humor always shines through. And he has always been the kind of man to give of himself to help others, both fellow writers and plain old fellow human beings.

My favorite book by Bill is Texas Vigilante. It’s a sequel to Outrage at Blanco, which introduced the character Ellie Taine. In “Vigilante,” Ellie is back on the justice trail, looking for the man who has kidnapped the daughter of a friend. I wouldn’t want Ellie on my trail if I were a criminal; I’d want her there if I needed rescuing. A very strong character.

I admire Bill Crider as a writer; I admire him much more as a man. I hope a miracle is in the offing for him. Today, particularly, I'm thinking of him. And wishing him the best. Bill is the best of us. No doubt about that. 

For more about Bill Crider Day, check out Patti Abbott's Blog.

10 comments:

George said...

Bill Crider is a versatile writer. I've enjoyed his mysteries, adventure novels, and westerns over the years.

Cloudia said...

Wishing that I would have someone of your heart and mind to support me in a similar situation. YOU are the best of us too, Charles. Happy Holidays to you and lovely Lana <3

Richard Moore said...

A lot of us join you in praying for that miracle for Bill. Good post and I have that western on my to be read soon list. I really like Bill's westerns as well as his mysteries and horror novels.

Charles Gramlich said...

George, I've only read his westerns but I do want to try some of his mysteries too

Cloudia, thank you, and hope your holidays are grand as well

Richard, These days it seems like I'm mostly reading westerns.

Rick Robinson said...

Charles, very nice post. I've read OUTRAGE but not that sequel, but I'll hunt it down now. Nice tribute.

Charles Gramlich said...

Rick, thanks, man

David Cranmer said...

Bill introduced me to Rough Edges Reasoner and from there I met a guy named Charles Gramlich. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

David, 3 degrees of separation

sage said...

I haven't read him, but hoping he experiences a miracle or two.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, for sure.