Wednesday, January 11, 2017

School and Writing

Well school is back in session. Classes started Monday. That means, for the past few days, my writing has been nearly at a standstill. When I was in my 30s and even 40s I still had the energy after long days of work to go into my office and write. That energy is no more. I've had to revert back to a strategy that I've used throughout the years during the heaviest work periods:

That is, "Write at least one good paragraph every day." No matter how tired I am, I try to get that one good paragraph done each and every day. On good days, rested days, I can get a lot more than that. But even on the worst days I make a little bit of progress. Progress is the key. Writing is accumulative!

16 comments:

Cloudia said...

Drips of water wear down mountains, Charles!

Adventuresfantastic said...

To paraphrase Yoda:

Paragraphs lead to pages; pages lead to chapters/stories; chapters/stories lead to novels/collections.

Keep on paragraphin'.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, absolutely

Keith West, amen!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know how you feel. When friends muse that they haven't crossed fifty yet, I tell them, 'Just you wait.'
I could do one paragraph a day. Now I have hope I might write something again.

sage said...

I need to have that much of a dedication--one good paragraph (beyond what I have to write for work)

Charles Gramlich said...

Alex, just remember, there are no impossible dreams! :)

Sage, I can't even always keep to that but I try

Stephanie Faris said...

I've had a hard time focusing since the start of the year. I need to get it together! I'm a full-time freelance writer, so I write all day, but working my books in can be challenging!

Jenny Baranick said...

It's so hard to have the brain power left to write after a day of teaching and grading. One paragraph a day is great.

Angie said...

Hey, definitely. I know writers who write in dribbles and drabs, on a laptop in a pediatrician's office, on their phone while in line at the grocery store, wherever and however they can. It definitely all adds up. :)

Angie

Oscar Case said...

Good paragraphs lead to good books and stories. Keep on it, Charles.

Charles Gramlich said...

Stephanie, I often wish I had more time to write, but when I do I often waste that time.

Jenny, it definitely is

Angie, and I always tell my students, whether it's reading or writing, Slow and steady, a bit at a time.

Oscar, absolutely!

Anonymous said...

Charles-whatever works to keep you forging ahead in the manner you wish!

Charles Gramlich said...

Jodi, keep the old head above water is the key

Erik Donald France said...

Steadfast & tenacious, a little is a lot.

All best wishes and keep on keeping on ~ !

Charles Gramlich said...

Erik, thanks, man!

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, one paragraph a day is a good writing tip. It should add up to at least a novella in a month or two.