Monday, January 02, 2017

Opening Post of 2017

Wish I had something profound to say for my first blog post of 2017. 2016 was not a very good year for me, but it was definitely better than any in the period 2012 to 2015. That’s not saying a lot considering those were among the toughest personal years of my life. I read more in 2016 than in the year before but wrote less. I basically wrote about 50,000 words of what I consider to be commercial fiction and non-fiction, as in stuff I’d like to sell and believe that I will. A fair amount of that has been sold. Other stuff has been lingering around without being submitted just because I’ve been procrastinating on that front.

Another change in my life, which started last year, involved streak watching of TV shows. I don’t binge watch in that I seldom watch more than two episodes at a time, but for the past two years Lana and I have been watching seasons of various TV shows back to back over a period of a few weeks. I’ve found that there’s quite a bit more decent TV out there than I had assumed. This has probably impacted my writing to some extent since I used to go to my computer pretty quickly after supper. Now I tend to spend at least an hour watching a TV show before hitting the pages.

Of the shows we’ve streaked so far, here are my favorites, in order.
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad.
Babylon Five
Justified
New Battlestar Galactica

I’m also still watching The Walking Dead and a newer show called Lucifer, but only an episode a week, like with old fashioned TV.

In short, and as usual, I’m hoping 2017 will be a good one both personally and professionally. I want to finish a few writing projects that I’ve left hang around too long. In reading, I’ve made a tentative decision to make this the “year of the series,” either starting and finishing whole series of books, or finishing a few of the series that I’ve had lingering around for a while. I’ve started with the Rigante series by David Gemmell and am about to finish book 3 of a 4 book series.

I hope all of you have a grand 2017. My best wishes go with you.


17 comments:

the walking man said...

Seeing as I have not seen any of your binge shows or them you are watching on a weekly basis (too cheap to reinstall cable or go streaming)my fervent hope for you Charles is that you are able to ward off the pain and frustrations while looking to the days of being solely inundated with those people and things that relax you.

Even though you like head banging music, it does not preclude me from looking to you as a principled man of letters who actually knows that his writing is an escape for others, an entertainment that would be further lost if he did not give rein to that thing within needing release.

Please continue on Charles, stay true to your family, talent, and home. Be well in the days ahead.

David Cranmer said...

Denise and I now watch TV shows like that. We go to Amazon Prime or Netflix pick a show and watch the complete season. New Battlestar Galactica was a favorite.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Being able to watch a series in a short amount of time is a wonderful thing. Outside of the major networks, there are some amazing shows out there. Have you watched Stranger Things? Brilliant.

Sarah Hina said...

Happy new year, Charles. I hope this year is good to you and Lana, and full of time to read and write, in spite of your teaching demands.

Cloudia said...

Wishing you both a very fine year, Charles. Yes, writing for TV has improved!

Charles Gramlich said...

Mark, a "principled man of letters?" Man, I need you to write my press releases for me. :) thanks for the kind words.

David, I didn't like the Apollo and Starbuck characters but all the other actors were cool and overall I really enjoyed the series.

Alex, I haven't but have heard good stuff about it. I'll give it a try.

Sarah, so far looks like my classes might be relatively small. That would be nice.

Cloudia, it has. I've been quite amazed.

Angie said...

Definitely a lot of suck in 2016. [nod/sigh] I did about as much writing as you did, which is part of the suck. I kind of planned for it, and still believe that I had my priorities straight, but still, gotta do better there. Luck to us both on that.

Of all the shows you've streaked, the only one I've seen is Bab 5, but that one definitely rocked. :) Great characters, some great performances. If there were any justice (or respect for SF shows on TV) both Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik would've been at least nominated for a few Emmies, and Katsulas at least should've won one. The man was an awesome actor -- it's amazing what he was able to emote, buried under all that latex and makeup. He and Jurasik bounced off each other beautifully; their shared character arc rocked.

Angie

Oscar Case said...

Keep on with the keeping on, Charles. Good things are bound to happen.

Charles Gramlich said...

Angie, Lana and I agree totally on Katsulas and Jurasik. They were such wonderful foils for each other. they stole the show

Oscar, hope so!

Jenny Baranick said...

It took me forever to watch Breaking Bad, but when I started, let's just say I watched more than two episodes in a row. Wishing you a fabulous 2017!

Charles Gramlich said...

Jenny, It took us quite a while to get around to it as well. Toward the end of the seasons we sometimes went more than 2 episodes in a row. Just a very fine show.

Erik Donald France said...

Good stuff, Charles! I am also liking the prequel to 'Braking Bad,' also, though with 'Better Call Saul' they may have to jump to the years after 'Breaking Bad' before too long. The people playing the younger characters keep getting older, which is pretty weird on screen.

Will be interested to see what the reboot of 'Twin Peaks' will look like whenever it emerges.

sage said...

May 2017 be good to you. I am glad to say goodbye to 2016, too even though there was some blessings to the year (I taught my first graduate level class which was a lot of fun and work).

Charles Gramlich said...

Erik, I imagine we'll get around to better call Saul before too long.

Sage, thanks, man. I hope we'll all have a good 2017

Loni Townsend said...

I watch Lucifer! Unfortunately, I don't have much time for anything else, since I can only squeeze in a show after my young kids go to bed, and then I'm not far behind them.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, I hope you and Lana have a wonderful 2017! Good luck with your reading and writing projects.

Charles Gramlich said...

Loni, when my son was small it was much the same. I watched shows with him sometimes but not many of my own choice.

Prashant, thanks, man. Back at you!