Thursday, November 20, 2014

Naivety: Part Two

Even after the egg incident, my innocence knew no bounds. Paul David told me one day that he could pin a glass of water to a concrete wall. Thinking to myself that I was not naive enough to believe that one, I told him to show me. He just smiled and filled a glass with cold water from the tap and then showed me the big pin he’d borrowed from Mom’s sewing kit.

We went outside to the pump house, which was the only concrete structure on the farm. Paul David positioned the glass next to the concrete and pressed the pin against the wall beneath it. I was watching closely when the pin slipped from his fingers.

“Oh, can you get that for me?” my brother asked sweetly.

Of course, I could. I quickly bent down to pluck up the pin, at which point Paul David poured the glass of cold water over my head. I came up spluttering to see him convulsed in laughter. I wish I’d stuck him with the pin, but I was too naïve to think of it.

I’m not that naïve anymore. 
-----
-----

17 comments:

BernardL said...

One of the earliest card games my older brother Jim taught me was 52 card pick-up, but I didn't get my head wet. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think your brother is due for some paybacks...

Cloudia said...

Doh!

Will we hear the story where you get even?



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Charles Gramlich said...

Bernard, that's a little better.

Alex, I'm telling stories about him now. Does that count?

Cloudia, indeed.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, do you and your brother look back and laugh at the pranks?

David Cranmer said...

No offense, Charles. But that gave me a good chuckle this morning. But if Paul had done it to me, I'd have clocked him.

Charles Gramlich said...

Prashant, yes. He has apologized to me for some of the things actually. But these were pretty much all in good fun.

David, he was six years older than me. Clocking him would probably have gotten me hurt!

Oscar Case said...

That's why it takes so long to grow up. You learn as you go along. A good one, Charles. Pardon me for HAW HAWING.

X. Dell said...

I'm not sure that you were so much naive as your brothers were older and more socially developed.

I'm waiting for the story of your comeuppance.

Richard Prosch said...

I feel blessed to be an only child!

Charles Gramlich said...

Oscar, it was meant to bring on the haw haws

X. Dell, well, I'm writing about them now aren't I? :)

Richard, indeed so!

Riot Kitty said...

HAHA! OMG. I totally would have walked into that one.

No one in my extended family has enough of a sense of humor to do stuff like that, unfortunately. But you're giving me ideas.

Charles Gramlich said...

Riot Kitty, You may have to cite my brother. Not sure if he has the copyright on it. :)

Vesper said...

"Even after the egg incident, my innocence knew no bounds."

Awwww!
and
HAHAHA!

Love it, Charles! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Charles Gramlich said...

Vesper, indeed, I am a true innocent!

Ron Scheer said...

Another grateful only child here...

Charles Gramlich said...

Ron, thumbs up!