Friday, October 24, 2014

Miscellaneous Adventures

Been pretty busy this week. We had mid-terms due. Here are a few things that happened.

1.  I had an amazingly beautiful dream on Wednesday. Lana and I had gone to a mountainous nature preserve where we saw five snow leopards crossing a creek. As night fell and I looked up at the sky I realized we weren't on earth. The stars were huge and absolutely myriad, and they did not all appear white but were gorgeous in brilliant shades of yellow, red, green and blue. Then, as I scanned the sky, I found a vast planet glowing a sullen red in one portion of the sky. The planet's seas appeared black, and there was a ring around the planet that was clearly an artificial construct. I could see space stations in orbit around the planet and understood that many of them were docks or construction sites for spaceships. I sure wish I could paint these images.

2. Lana and I watched the new Godzilla movie on Thursday night. We both thought it sucked, although I think Lana liked the depiction of Godzilla a fair amount. She certainly cheered when he used his lightning breath.  The movie definitely seemed to hark back to the original Japanese movies. However, all the plot lines involving humans in the movie turned upon them being absolutely stupid. I found myself unable to root for any of the human characters because of this stupidity. For example, why in hell would you arm a nuclear weapon while still in the city if you intend to take it out to sea to detonate it?

3. I found in my last year's reading that I didn't peruse many graphic novels so I've ordered a few from Amazon that should be in soon. I will report on them here.

4. And, delightfully, Randy Johnson has reviewed "The Adventures of an Arkansawyer" over on his "Not the Baseball Pitcher" blog. Thanks to Randy! I hope you will check it out.
----
----

20 comments:

Brian Miller said...

dude...pretty cool on randy johnson....have yet to see godzilla...most reviews have been about the same....pretty cool on the dream too...you can paint them in words right?

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, I read the review over at Randy's blog and I thought Matthew Broderick was okay although the plot sucked. I have never read a graphic novel yet.

David Cranmer said...

I need to grab me some "The Adventures of an Arkansawyer" pretty soon.

Charles Gramlich said...

Brian, I try but I sure wish I could see it in a true image.

Prashant, there's a brand new Godzilla out. The Matthew Broderick version is old now. I didn't care much for that version either, but liked it better than the new one.

David, always new things to read for sure.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You need to write a story based on that dream.
I still thought the new Godzilla was awesome. Our entire movie theater cheered when he used his breath.

Oscar Case said...

Interesting stuff. Your dreams are out of this world, literally. Will get your Arkansawyer book in a week or two and am looking forward to the memories..

Charles Gramlich said...

Alex, Lana cheered for that too. I never saw the original Godzillas so I didn't know about his breath

Oscar, hope you enjoy!

Cloudia said...

Your imagination is so entertaining!





ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

pattinase (abbott) said...

I wonder if your dreams influence what you write or what you write influences your dreams.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, thank you.

Patti, I think it's a little of both, although definitely quite a lot of things from my dreams appear in my stories.

ivan said...

Hm.

You and the technicolour painter,
Russeau. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Ivan, the eyes have it

jodi said...

Charles-You have the most amazing dreams of anyone ever! I'm sure it fuels your amazing writing!

Travis Cody said...

You painted a pretty intense picture of the planet with your words. Red with black seas...intriguing.

Cheers!

Riot Kitty said...

We saw Godzilla for giggles, and everyone in the theater cheered when he spat his lightning breath into the "bad" monster. I thought it was because they were all drinking, but apparently everyone everywhere cheered during that part.

Charles Gramlich said...

Jodi, that's sweet of you.

Travis Cody, yes, I need to explore this planet a little more in my imagination. See what cool things are there.

Riot Kitty, Lana cheered at that part. It's apparently due to their familiarity with the old Godzilla movies.

BernardL said...

Thanks for the review of Godzilla. I wondered about that one. You have great presence of mind in your dreams.

Erik Donald France said...

Good luck with all the school stuff and huzzah on the rest ~!

The top dream reminds me of "a friend's" hallucinogenic reveries. Vivid.

Onward ~>

sage said...

That first dream sounds incredible!

Charles Gramlich said...

Bernard, I took one for the team with Godzilla.

Erik, why take hallucinogens when you can dream? :)

Sage, pretty cool indeed.