Friday, June 06, 2014

The Flying Nun

I've been working this summer on another memoir book, like Days of Beer, but this one focused more generally on growing up in Arkansas, living on the farm, hunting and fishing, and family life. Most of the episodes I've put in so far have been funny ones. Here's a sample. Not laugh out loud funny, but I thought it had a bit of a zinger.  There are some other incidents that are much more hilarious. Anyway, here's a little piece I call "The Flying Nun."
 -----
 -----

I went to a Catholic grade school where we were taught by nuns during the entire six years. We had some sisters I really liked, and some not quite so much. We never had one that I had more respect for than Sister Annella, though. She would play baseball and even football with us at recess.

One morning after we’d come out of mass and were headed back for school, I was bragging to Sister about how fast I could run. She indicated that she was pretty fast too but I just kind of grinned and told her she wasn’t as fast as me. She said, “let’s just see.”

Taking that as a challenge, I prepared to show Sister my heels. We took off for the school, with her holding the hem of her habit up so she could run better. I had no doubt I could beat her.


I was wrong. 
-----
-----

21 comments:

Cloudia said...

A warm and good little incident written simply, effectively. Nice.

I'm sort of autobiographical too in my D-Day June 6 post today.


Have a nice Summer, you two


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, thankee, glad you enjoyed.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So your ten-year-old self couldn't outrun a nun, huh? I wonder if there was a special nuns-only gym?

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Nice one, Charles. I miss my growing up days. I think most people do.

the walking man said...

I found out early on that I could never beat a nun but they had no problem beating me.

Brian Miller said...

ha. good on her for showing you her stuff...funny how we can underestimate others...perticularly when we are young and they a bit older...bet she was an interesting sight to see running (or outrunning) you...smiles.

Charles Gramlich said...

Alex, one of my more embarrassing moments. But I think she was a ringer!

Prashant, there was fun in them for sure, although some unpleasant stuff as well.

Mark, I also got beat by nuns a few times as well.

Brian, in my service, it was a close race. :)

Oscar Case said...

That's a good one, Charles.

ivan said...

Hard to get out of the habit.

BernardL said...

Oh yeah! I'd buy that collection in a heartbeat. :)

pattinase (abbott) said...

What a sight that must have been.

Charles Gramlich said...

Oscar, indeed!

Ivan, :)

Bernard, Thankee, man.

Patti, today someone would have caught it on a cell phone cam or something

Riot Kitty said...

Sweet! I want to read more.

SzélsőFa said...

Nuns are surprising, aren't they? :)
I guess the book will be a good read spiced up with stories like this. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Riot kitty, I will share some more tales as I go through getting the work ready for publication.

Szelsofa, Sister Annella certainly was!

Barbara Martin said...

Nun's often have surprises in them, that's for sure.

Charles Gramlich said...

Barbara, yes indeed.

David Cranmer said...

Smiles here. And looking forward to your next memoir.

Charles Gramlich said...

David, thanks, man.

Erik Donald France said...

Excellent. More, please.

Charles Gramlich said...

Erik, glad you enjoyed!