Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Metal versus Rock 5: Southern Rock

When I started putting together my list of top ten favorite hard rock songs I ran into a problem. I had a lot more than ten. However, I found a couple of ways to 'expand' my list creatively. For one, I took out all the songs from my original list that could also be categorized as "Southern Rock," and put them on a separate list. So, here we have my top five favorite Southern Rock songs, all of which also fit generally within the Hard Rock genre.


Lynyrd Skynyrd: Saturday Night Special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGC24e87uo

Texas Hippie Coalition: Hands Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPY8Z10OjE

Molley Hatchet: Dreams I’ll Never See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtC7i4KMRgo



----
----

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I confess Southern Rock is just something I never got into.

Ty said...

Can't argue much with that list, though I'd probably thrown in an Allman Brothers tune.

pattinase (abbott) said...

These are definitely the most accessible of the songs you have been playing. I hear words now.

Charles Gramlich said...

Alex, I suppose I can forgive you,

Ty, they definitely had some good stuff.

Patti, lol. It's the southern drawl thing, maybe. :)

Cloudia said...

No Jimi? No Grand Funk? No Credence? How do we narrow it down? We live(d) the greatest times in rock!

ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
=^..^= <3


Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, I liked all those, especially Jimmi and Creedence, but I could only allow myself five and these are my favorites. Run through the Jungle and All along the watchtower are way up there, though.

ivan said...

What,
You missed Tony Joe White,

"Down in Louisiana
Where the gators grow so mean..." :)

Brian Miller said...

skynyrd!!!!!!! freebird!!!!!! ha
cool...i dont know texas hippie....i need to take a listen....

Charles Gramlich said...

Ivan, I don't even know who that is.

Brian, Texas Hippie Coalition is pretty new but they have some great stuff.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, I'm going to have to look anew at Hard Rock. I can see that I have missed a lot. Like books and movies, I'm open to all kinds of music.

sage said...

The Texas Hippies are new to me... I figured all Texas hippies had moved out of state. I would have to add the Allman Brothers and Marshall Tucker. It is interesting to see your musical interests

BernardL said...

I have a lot of ZZ Top, and
Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'll have to expand a bit. :)

Riot Kitty said...

Would you consider the Black Crows Southern Rock?

jodi said...

Charles-I love southern rock. Years ago I hung out with Henry Weck, the drummer in Blackfoot.

Erik Donald France said...

Yeahdawg, I can go with this list,for sure. Southern Rock was very big in Tar Heel Land in the 1970s and early 1980s especially.