Saturday, January 18, 2020

1-18-2020: Local Mysteries Intrigue Author:


Since 2007, I’ve lived in the country outside Abita Springs, Louisiana, on a dirt road surrounded by woods. It lies in a sparse community of mostly trailer houses on other dirt roads. And it is a nexus of mystery. First there was/is the house. While most houses in the area are trailers or modular homes, this is a nice two story, possibly the most beautiful house in the neighborhood. And yet it lies abandoned. For a while, there were clothes hung on the rail of the back porch, as if set out to dry. Those finally rotted away. But at night, lights come on inside and a single ceiling fan begins to rotate. I’ve never seen a car there, or a person. I no longer walk past it.

One day I discovered a whole set of women’s clothes—socks, jeans, sweater—lying just off the ditch on one of the roads. They were arranged in the shape of a person sleeping on their back. Another time I discovered a white van run off the road into the woods. It was empty, with broken windows. I told the police about the clothes and the van. Nothing ever came of it.

My son and I discovered an unfinished wooden shed in the woods about fifty yards behind my house, clearly hidden from the road. It has since nearly rotted into the ground. We also discovered a bloated wild pig carcass in a ditch. I’ve found other unsavory things—deer heads, fish carcasses, and once a huge smear of what looked like blood across a gravel road. I’m pretty sure the dead animals and blood were from hunters throwing out the parts of their hunts that they didn’t want to take home. Pretty sure.

In the last couple of years, periodic explosions have rocked our neighborhood. Usually we’ll hear a big bang, or maybe just feel vibrations. One of these explosions was explained as an accident when someone was burning trash, but the authorities haven’t even acknowledged the others that have been reported by local residents.

In the last few weeks, another little mystery has reared its head. I often pass a house on my walks where there is a strange sound. It sounds like someone slapping their hand on a road sign, a kind of “spang.” And it’s very regular. Each time I’ve heard it, I’ve stopped and tried to figure it out; today, I realized that it’s coming from underground. As a writer, my first thought was, someone imprisoned in a cellar is tapping a metal cup on a water pipe to get attention. Then the rational part of my mind kicked in. It’s far too regular to be a person. It’s clearly mechanical and maybe it has something to do with these folks’ plumbing. Maybe. Or…

They say mystery is the spice of life. My life outside Abita Springs has been pretty spicy.  

7 comments:

sage said...

Sounds like good fodder for your pen!

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, if I didn't know better I'd have thought I was reading your latest mystery, probably a thriller.

Unknown said...

Sage, they'll be in a story somewhere

Prashant, I've been working on a thriller.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds rather creepy all right. Too much weirdness for one person, but a lot of people could create it. You definitely have the makings of a story there.

the walking man said...

At first I thought "the man has a meth lab right around the corner from him. A meth lab banked by poachers who like to air dry their laundry away from the house." But then you got to the sign banging sound and i am certain you have the worlds most mechanical earthworms and live in that place because it reflect you mind so well.

Angie said...

My first thought reading this was that you could definitely get a novel out of it. :) Can't wait to see what you do!

Angie

Unknown said...

Easy "water hack" burns 2 lbs OVERNIGHT

Over 160 thousand men and women are hacking their diet with a easy and secret "water hack" to burn 2lbs each night as they sleep.

It is very simple and it works on anybody.

Here's how you can do it yourself:

1) Grab a drinking glass and fill it up half the way

2) Proceed to follow this proven hack

you'll become 2lbs lighter in the morning!