Thursday, February 22, 2018

Harlan Coben


Though I’d heard his name often enough, I didn’t discover Harlan Coben as a reader until I picked up “The Woods” by him in February of 2017. Here is my review on Goodreads:
“Very good. A standout mystery thriller that keeps the twists and turns coming. Well developed characters that you can root for, but who are certainly not perfect. I found myself irritated at interruptions that kept me from turning the pages and I think that is a pretty good recommendation. I'd not previously read anything by Coben but I'll be looking for more.”


Despite liking “The Woods” so much, it wasn’t until January of this year (2018) that I read my second Coben book—Darkest Fear. I loved it even more than “The Woods” and immediately headed to the bookstore and online to get more of his works. Here’s what I said about Darkest Fear.
“Wow, what a very fine book. The best I've read in a while. This is a good example of a page turner. I was completely caught up in the story and the characters. I've only read one Coben before, The Woods, which I also highly recommend. This is the first one I've read in the Bolitar series but I'm off to pick up the rest of them now. A very talented author.”


Since January 1st, 2018, I’ve read four more Coben books. This is rather unprecedent for me. I hardly ever select works from the same writer so close together. It goes to show how much I am enjoying his work. Here are some quick reviews below:



Six Years: “Really good. A professor uncovers the mystery of why the woman he loved suddenly married another man and made him promise never to try and contact her again. Layer upon layer of secrets are uncovered. Excellent plotting and very fine characters.”


Fade Away: “The third book I've read by Harlan Coben. This is also 3rd in the Myron Bolitar series. This is my least favorite of Coben's works so far, but it still gets 4 stars. A really good writer capable of creating very interesting characters and wrapping an exciting and intricate plot around them. Starting another Coben book tonight.”


The Innocent: My favorite so far: “An outstanding thriller. My favorite so far from Coben, which is saying a lot because I've liked everything I've read by him so far. It's a long book but I came close to finishing it in one session. That's how much I liked it. I did finish in two sessions and it was the kind of book where you close the last page and get that little feeling of melancholia because it's over. I highly recommend it.”


Gone for Good: This is the only one of Coben’s books so far that I didn’t just love. I still liked it, though. Here are my comments on Goodreads: “Is there such a thing as too complicated? Maybe, and maybe this one slips into that territory. I enjoyed it. Good writing. Interesting characters. I felt rather lost quite a bit of the time, particularly early. The ending was good.”




In short, I love me some Harlan Coben. Excellent storyteller and I highly recommend him.






11 comments:

Aimlesswriter said...

Love Harlan Coban. If you ever pick up one of his audio books, his reader, Carrington McDuffie is awesome, pulls you right in.
Thanks for the reviews. I missed Six Years and just downloaded it.

Patsy said...

I've not read anything by this author. Not yet, anyway.

Charles Gramlich said...

aimlesswriter, thanks for the tip on the audio

Patsy, it's good stuff if you like thrillers

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have only read a couple but liked them very much too.

Charles Gramlich said...

Patti, I've been binging

Cloudia said...

Never heard of him. Thank you Charles

Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, it's good stuff

sage said...

I have seen his name, but haven't read him. Sounds like you found a new friend!

Snowbrush said...

So many authors, so many books. I had never heard of him either, but given that my reading is largely confined to people who have been dead for 100 years, that's no surprise.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, I've got about six more of his books to read

Snowbrush, he's probably one of the better selling modern authors, although I don't know exactly his place in the hierarchy.

cocoya said...

I've not read anything by this author. Not yet, anyway.
Genting Crown
Gclub