Monday, August 21, 2017

A Little History

I always sort of assume that the readers of this blog know me and know about my job, but lately there have been a few new people stopping by so I thought I might take this post to introduce a little about myself and my work. If you already know it, feel free to skip. I'll try to be brief.

I was born in 1958 and grew up on a farm in Arkansas. I got a bachelor's degree in psychology from Arkansas Tech University, then an MA and PhD in psych from the University of Arkansas. I started teaching at Xavier University of Louisiana, in New Orleans, in 1986 and have been there ever since. This is my 32 or 33 year. It's a lot anyway. I teach experimental psychology courses such as Physiological Psychology, Psychology of Learning, Evolutionary Psychology, and Writing in Psychology.

For the last ten years or so I've been able to take summers off to write and pretty much all of my book publications have come in that time period. I do write during the school year but I am seldom able to complete long projects during that time. My job keeps me pretty busy. In addition to teaching, I'm also chair of the Xavier University IRB, which processes any research project carried out on campus that involves human participants. It is a "very" busy committee. 

I also tend to blog less when school is in session, so you may note a slow down in my blog posts and visits over the next few weeks. Faculty meetings and registration took place last week, and classes start today. I came in very early to get all my stuff ready for class so that's why I have a few minutes to blog this morning. 

Anyway, enough about that. I'm off to try and visit some blogs before the first students start coming in. 

21 comments:

Scott D. Parker said...

I knew you were a professor, but didn't know the discipline. And you're older than I thought you were. ;-)

ninthmuse (roz m) said...

Wow, I had no idea how few years you had been teaching when I took your class! It seemed like second nature to you.

Blogoratti said...

What a wonderful introduction and good to know you have been teaching for such a long time in an interesting field of study. Nice of you to share, warm greetings!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Reviews are always nice. Learned a few new things even after all these years of reading Razored Zen.

Charles Gramlich said...

S. D., I'm older than dirt. :)

Ninthmuse, it was always something I enjoyed.

Blogoratti, thanks. I appreciate that.

patti, everyone should do something like this on occassion probably.

Cloudia said...

Yup. That's my friend Charles as I know him

Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, Thumbs up!

Oscar Case said...

Nice post and I enjoy most of them.

Charles Gramlich said...

Oscar, thankee

Shadow said...

It's nice to meet you, Charles, and happy teaching. Psychology and Philosophy are favourite fascinations of mine

Charles Gramlich said...

Shadow, thanks. I had a minor in philosophy in college. definitely an interest.

Erik Donald France said...

Always good to review some history from time to time. Coincidentally (or is it?), I shifted some books from home to my work office today. One of them is a certain 'The Adventures of an Arkansawyer.' You may have heard of it?

G.B. Miller said...

A retro intro, very chic. On a strange side-note, the other night I asked my daughter what she wanted to major in (she's perpetually flip-flopping). She said, "forensic psychology". The rest of the conversation went on a weird tangent, but I though you would appreciated the get-up-and-go of a 16 1/2 year old.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Very impressive, Charles. Thirty-odd years of teaching is life really well-spent. I'm glad I know you even better than I do.

Charles Gramlich said...

Erik, yes, I've heard of that one. A masterpiece some are saying! :)

G. B. it's a fascinating field.

Prashant, thanks, man!

sage said...

I knew you taught psychology at a school in NOLA, but could never remember which one and didn't know the courses or where you'd studied. Thanks for catching me up!

SHON said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing!!

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, yep, been here a long time.

Shon, thanks!

^.^ said...

Hi, friend Charles Graemlich. I thought we had it, but guess not ... so here we go again ...Hi,from Alberta, Canada ... my name is cat ... nice to meet you. Love, cat.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cat, I've missed a few days. We are back to school here and that's always a busy time!

UplayOnline said...

A masterpiece some are saying! :)


เย็ดสาว