Sunday, July 23, 2017

Odd Bob's

We happened to be in Foley, Alabama today (Sunday), and stopped by a place called Foley's Indoor Flea Market. While Lana wandered around through much of the place, I went straight to Odd Bob's, who is a book guy among other things. (He also sells toys and a lot of vinyl records but I don't care anything about those.)

What I cared about was a simply huge selection of all kinds of books, SF, Mystery, History, Westerns, and much more, including a lot of comics. I only had an hour or so to spend there so I barely scratched the surface of what he had available, but I did find a few books that I'll share with you here.

"Drifter," by William C. Dietz is the first in a series. I've been looking for it for a good while and already have the other two. The Ray Bradbury collection of plays is not something I've seen anywhere else. I didn't know it existed. I've been intending to write a play myself. I also picked up a Babylon 5 tie-in novel by Peter David.

I also found several series books that were new to me. I got #1 in Donovan's Devils, #2 in the Man from U.N.C.L.E. series (which I had at least heard of), and copies of series books for The Guardians and UFO-1 that I'd never heard of. I was familiar with James Axler from his Death Lands series, although this "Earth Blood" is not from that series.

I picked up a collection of fables from Richard Adams, who I've found myself interested in again of late, and this rather odd book on the right called "The Alphabet of Manliness." It looks to be pretty funny. Never heard of it before. 



Finally, we also got the poster shown below, which is Star Trek related. For those of you who love Trek, no explanation is necessary. For those of you who don't, no explanation is sufficient.

If you happen to be in Foley, do yourself a favor and stop by Odd Bob's. He had a lot of Burroughs, a lot of L'Amour, and much, much more. You can find out more at his website, including his location. I linked it in line 2 of this post.

16 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

As usual, an interesting post.

Cloudia said...

Treasure Trove, Charles!

Charles Gramlich said...

Barbara, thanks, glad you enjoyed.

Cloudia, absolutely

^.^ said...

I better check out da market place with Lana as have no idea what you are talking about, friend Charles Gramlich ... meet you at 1300 hrs at the corner ... how does that sound? ... smiles ... https://www.youtube.com/embed/7E9Ed9DUQoQ?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0 ... Thanks for stopping by my space ... smiles ... Love, cat.

^.^ said...

... it's so fun bein an immigrant ... not ... smiles ... Love, cat.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Would love to visit that booth. Not much like that around here anymore.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cat, Lana would have appreciated the company.

Patti, I know. nothing like that around here.

Blogoratti said...

I like flea markets. I particularly like flea markets that sell books. Looks like you found yourself some nice treasures. Warm greetings to you!

Charles Gramlich said...

Blogoratti, thanks for visiting. Yes, it was a great one.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Mentally, I'm already there, Charles! My idea of paradise. SF, Mystery, History, Westerns...what more could one want? I liked what you picked up.

sage said...

Your library is expanding!

Charles Gramlich said...

Prashant, it was a superb place!

Sage, about like my waistline

Angie said...

There's nothing like a great used bookstore. :D

Angie

Charles Gramlich said...

Angie, amen

Erik Donald France said...

Coolioso, Charles!

I remember 'Donovan's Devils' ~ Love it!

Is Bob as odd as Oddjob, or only his persona?

UplayOnline said...

There's nothing like a great used bookstore. :D


การ์ตูนโป๊, jav