Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Poetry from Yours Truly

I'm very honored to be July's Selected Poet over at The Horror Zine. I hope you will click on the link and head over for a look. Thanks to Jeani Rector and all the good folks over there. I much appreciate their efforts. 

There are three poems, "River of Love's Dreaming," "Recipe for Disaster," and "Serpent Rain." I always construct notes about the evolution of stories I write, and sometimes I do this for poems, although in less detail. For what it's worth, here are the notes for these three poems below. 

A River of Love’s Dreaming: Started in 2016. I was very happy with my poem R.O.A.D, River of Angels Dreaming, and so I decided to try something else in a similar vein. I don't think it's as good but I was pleased with it overall. 

Recipe for Disaster: After reading some great poetry by Bruce Boston, I tried to create a similar kind of poem and this very short piece came out. I wrote an alternate version too and showed both to my writing group in 2016. They liked this the best. Bruce actually read this and gave me a suggestion for it, but it was already submitted at that point and so I wasn't able to incorporate his suggestion. If there's ever a collection that small change will be made. 

Serpent Rain: Written in 2010 but I don’t remember much about it. That was a very stressful year. A lot of losses. I suppose it felt a bit like I was being punished and was hoping for forgiveness. 

Thanks to everyone for visiting. 



12 comments:

^.^ said...

Hi, Charles Graemlich ... this is cat ... thank you for stopping at my blog ... and wow, I read your 3 suggested poems ... wow ... meouw ... smiles ... Love, cat.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations!

Angie said...

Charles -- good stuff! I liked the first one best. The last two lines deliver a gut punch.

Angie

Cloudia said...

Congratulations on being selected. Can't wait to pop over there and see, Charles

Charles Gramlich said...

Cat, thank you, glad you enjoyed

Alex, thanks, man

Angie, I appreciate that

Cloudia, thank you

Erik Donald France said...

Excellent, Charles! Very cool ~ "A soupcon of cryptic ergot" and beyond, indeed.

Charles Gramlich said...

Erik, thanks, man!

David Cranmer said...

I enjoyed all but especiallly the last one. I must be in the mood for forgiveness too.

Oscar Case said...

Good luck with the poetry, Charles, and congrats! Oh, yes, Happy 4th of July, too!

Charles Gramlich said...

David, I'm always hoping for it

Oscar, thanks, man. Back at you.

Sandi said...

"That was a very stressful year. A lot of losses. I suppose it felt a bit like I was being punished and was hoping for forgiveness."

I haven't been here before, just happened on this blog from another (Cloudia's Hawaii photos) but this part jumped out at me. It's heartbreaking and I just wanted to say something supportive. But what? How about, "That's not what God is like" or...well, that's all I've got. I hope things are better for you these days.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sandi, thanks for visiting. things are generally much better now. I appreciate your kind thoughts.