Friday, February 10, 2017

Ed Bryant

I was very sorry to hear that Edward Bryant died on Friday, February 10. Ed was a very fine writer of both SF and horror. He was often associated with the New Wave of SF. I did not know Ed well; I only met him a few times at various conventions in Louisiana. However, I will always remember my first meeting with him at a New Orleans SF convention back in the 1990s. It was my very first convention as a guest. Ed was by far the biggest name at the con and I remember how friendly and accepting of me he was.

I talked to Ed a few more times at other conventions and he always seemed to remember me. Over time I got him to sign quite a few books for me and I still have and value those. From all I hear, he was at all times a nice and considerate fellow and that was certainly my experience of him. He'll be missed.



19 comments:

Shadow said...

Nice remembrances

sage said...

Sorry for your loss and that of the science fiction community as well as for his family. Nice tribute.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry to hear he's gone. You managed to build up special memories of him over the years though - hang on to those.

Cloudia said...

Condolences to the family and friends like you Charles

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sorry for the loss of your friend and fellow writer.

Angie said...

I never met him, but I'd certainly heard of him. And I just woke up like five minutes ago, and this is the second tribute post for Ed I've read in my blog feed. The field will definitely be lesser without him. :(

Angie

Oscar Case said...

Sorry to hear about Ed Bryant. I didn't know him, but we offer our condolences to the family and you, Charles.

Danny Tagalog said...

Sorry to hear about this Charles. As has been noted, it's a fine tribute. Best to you and yours. . .

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Thanks, Charles. I will look up some of Edward Bryant's work. I wasn't familiar with the author till I read about his passing.

Charles Gramlich said...

Shadow, thanks.

Sage, I appreciate that

Alex, yes indeed.

Cloudia, thankee

Patti, thanks.

Angie, a talented guy.

Oscar, I appreciate it

Danny, thanks, man.

Prashant, Ed's stories are quirky but enjoyable.

X. Dell said...

He sounds like a decent guy. Always tough to see one of them go.

Charles Gramlich said...

X. Dell, absolutely

sage said...

Charles, A friend of mine had a post that I haven't commented on, but thought you might find interesting: http://www.lemodesittjr.com/2017/02/14/decline-of-fictional-uniqueness/

Jenny Baranick said...

I am so sorry to hear this.

Erik Donald France said...

RIP, Ed Bryant. Neat guy ~ cool that you connected with him!

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, thanks for the link

Jenny, appreciate that

Erik, he definitely was.

Theresa Milstein said...

Thanks for sharing this info. Sad to hear.

Charles Gramlich said...

Theresa, yes it was

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Very sorry to hear of Mr. Bryant's passing...