Monday, September 21, 2015

Update and Review

Let me first point you to a review of The Adventures of an Arkansawyer over at Erik's Choice. Erik is a first rate observer of culture. He usually reviews books and movies that have far more literary merit than my own efforts. But I really appreciated his insightful comments on my stuff. Check it out.

As for updates, we got mostly very good news last week concerning Lana's PET Fusion scan. The cyst that she had removed from her ovary did have cancerous elements but it looks like from the scan that removing the cyst got everything and she will not need any chemotherapy. We were both very relieved by that, as you might imagine. They did find in the scan that she has an umbilical hernia, and that will probably need to be dealt with.

Lana also has another rhizotomy scheduled for this Wednesday, on the other side of her back. We're hoping the combination of these two will get her walking and moving well again. We've been able to get out for short walks after her first one but the pain is still pretty bad. Plus, it has been very hot here most days so we walk only early or late. I know we're both hoping for some cooler weather.

Looks like I'm not going to have football to distract me this year. Both my beloved Arkansas Razorbacks, and the New Orleans Saints, have lost two games in a row. Well, there's always next year. In the meantime, I've started replaying Skyrim again for the umpteenth time.

In writing, I'm about three or four chapters away from finishing Gods of Talera. I have not worked much on it for the past few weeks, though. Just trying to keep my head above water at school.

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

After all you've been through, will be praying for Lana.
Yeah, sad about the Saints. Always liked Drew Brees.

Unknown said...

I hope your wife returns to 100% good health very soon! Hang in there.

Angie said...

Congrats on the review. :) I got this book recently, in fact, and it's in the rotation; I'm about a third of the way through it. Keeping in mind that I don't drink alchohol at all, I enjoyed the beer-y part, especially how cool you were in your beer smuggling over state borders, heh.

Best wishes to Lana -- I hope her surgery goes well and she's up and around again, pain free, RSN. {{{}}}

Angie

Charles Gramlich said...

Alex, apparently Drew has some injury to his shoulder. Hope it isn't anything bad.

R.T. definitely we are hoping so.

Angie, lol. Good times. :)

Oscar Case said...

Wishing you both good luck, Lana especially. I've finished Arkansawyer and laughed my head off. A fine and in-depth review by Erik.

the walking man said...

Charles I know it sounds strange but become a Detroit Lions fan for two years and by then every other football team in the nation (including pee wee) will be exciting.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, I wish Lana a speedy recovery, and the best of luck and happiness to you both.

BernardL said...

Very good news so far, my friend.

Charles Gramlich said...

Oscar, glad you enjoyed.

Mark, I've been thinking about that but I don't know if I have the testicular fortitude it would take to be a Detroit Lions fan.

Prashant, thank you.

Bernard, glad to have it for sure

pattinase (abbott) said...

You two are due for some very good days ahead if there is any justice in this life.

Charles Gramlich said...

Patti, hoping we are about to turn the corner.

sage said...

I am glad Lana is doing well and will keep her in my prayers and I need to read your Arkansawyer book!

David Cranmer said...

Thoughts and prayers that Lana continues to get better and this next appointment goes smooth.

Riot Kitty said...

Glad for your good news. You seriously deserve it.

Aimlesswriter said...

I don't know what that reviewer saw. I saw a battle field with blood and pain. I thought it was well written because it made me "see."

So glad Lana is doing well!

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, thankee, man.

David, much appreciated.

Riot Kitty, we've been needing some good news.

Aimlesswriter, thank you!

jodi said...

Charles-I just read about Lana's medical report. That's good news in a bad situation. I hope she clears the next test. Healthy white light coming for Miss Lana!