Sunday, July 05, 2015

Encounter with a Fourth of July House Mouse

I’ve known we’ve had a mouse in the house for a while. I’ve heard it late at night, and there’s been physical evidence left behind. I’d left a shirt on the floor of my office for a few days and when I moved it the other day there was an acorn under it. I left the acorn there after picking up the shirt, and the next day the acorn was gone again.

Years ago, for reasons that escape me, I brought a double handful of big acorns into the house, then put them in a drawer and promptly forgot them. At some point a mouse stole them and began hiding them around the house. I’ve found quite a few little stashes over the years, and usually throw them out when I do. I know many of the mice that made them are no longer with us, but it seems like each new mouse that comes in finds some of those acorns and hoards them like gold.

Late Friday night/Saturday morning, around 4:00 or so, I encountered our newest house mouse. Like many men of my age, I spend an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom. Nature called again around 4:00. I stepped into the bathroom and immediately thought I saw something coming down the wall near the bathtub. When I looked closer, it was the mouse, a sleek, gray, well-fed looking creature.

It appeared he wanted out of the bathroom and there’s only one way out. I was standing in his way. He darted a step toward me and I darted a step back. I then tried to reason with him that if he would just be patient, I’d get out of his way post haste. Apparently, he wasn’t patient. He came shooting in my direction. I did the only thing I could under the circumstances. I grabbed hold of the sink on the left and the wall on the right and…levitated.

Here’s the thing, I’m not really scared of mice.  I outweigh them by a considerable amount. I don’t find them disgusting. I think they’re rather cute, in fact. So why is it that when such a small thing comes scurrying toward me, I immediately engage in the standard avoidance dance?

Maybe it’s the acorns. Maybe I’m afraid I’ll encounter a mouse who can’t tell the difference between acorns and…well, you know.

----
----


20 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! I'll never forget that time we were both dancing around, trying to shoo one of those little bastards out the patio door.

Charles Gramlich said...

Lana, yes, I remember it well

Oscar Case said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Sounds like a great adventure. It's lizards occasionally around here.

Unknown said...

Here is something for you and your mouse:
http://www.bartleby.com/6/76.html
Enjoy!

Cloudia said...

Enjoyable slice of life, Charles









ALOHA
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")


Angie said...

Well, any wild animal (mammal?) can be rabid, which is an excellent reason to keep away from its teeth IMO. I'm not afraid of mice either, but if one charged I'd probably do my best to get out of its way. :)

Angie

Ty said...

Pistols at dawn, Sir Mouse! Do you hear me? Pistols at dawn!

Charles Gramlich said...

Oscar, more fun in the remembering than in the experiencing.

R. T., Good one.

Cloudia, true life.

Angie, I did my best for sure.

Ty, lol

sage said...

You paint a humorous picture here, Charles!

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, thankee

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Funny one, Charles! We have had problems with lizards and cockroaches but, thankfully, no mice. In my childhood I remember my dad chasing many a bat out of the house with a broom.

Charles Gramlich said...

Prashant, I have more animal stories to tell from growing up as well.

Riot Kitty said...

You know what happened to our accidental house mouse, so I won't send Mandrake and Vasil your way! They ate him like a hot pocket, methinks.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have always been told if there is one, there are many. Maybe that's only in the north though.

Charles Gramlich said...

Riot kitty, yes, cats are good for that. oftentimes. I assume these are cats and not small demons.

Patti, oftentimes, although I thikn we often get just one at a time.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

You're much more patient/kind/etc than I am when it comes to mice in the house.

Charles Gramlich said...

David, Been living in the country and living with mice my entire life

BernardL said...

There is indeed an avoidance feature when small creatures, no matter how harmless, streak at us. :) Good story.

jodi said...

Charles-I would not mind a mouse in the house except they do not know how to use the bathroom properly. P.S. I also have a 'thing' for acorns!

pak muliadi said...


KAMI SEKELUARGA MENGUCAPKAN BANYAK TERIMA KASIH ATAS BANTUANNYA MBAH , NOMOR YANG MBAH BERIKAN/ 4D SGP& HK SAYA DAPAT (350) JUTA ALHAMDULILLAH TEMBUS, SELURUH HUTANG2 SAYA SUDAH SAYA LUNAS DAN KAMI BISAH USAHA LAGI. JIKA ANDA INGIN SEPERTI SAYA HUB MBAH_PURO _085_342_734_904_ terima kasih.الالله صلى الله عليه وسلموعليكوتهله صلى الل

KAMI SEKELUARGA MENGUCAPKAN BANYAK TERIMA KASIH ATAS BANTUANNYA MBAH , NOMOR YANG MBAH BERIKAN/ 4D SGP& HK SAYA DAPAT (350) JUTA ALHAMDULILLAH TEMBUS, SELURUH HUTANG2 SAYA SUDAH SAYA LUNAS DAN KAMI BISAH USAHA LAGI. JIKA ANDA INGIN SEPERTI SAYA HUB MBAH_PURO _085_342_734_904_ terima kasih.الالله صلى الله عليه وسلموعليكوتهله صلى الل


KAMI SEKELUARGA MENGUCAPKAN BANYAK TERIMA KASIH ATAS BANTUANNYA MBAH , NOMOR YANG MBAH BERIKAN/ 4D SGP& HK SAYA DAPAT (350) JUTA ALHAMDULILLAH TEMBUS, SELURUH HUTANG2 SAYA SUDAH SAYA LUNAS DAN KAMI BISAH USAHA LAGI. JIKA ANDA INGIN SEPERTI SAYA HUB MBAH_PURO _085_342_734_904_ terima kasih.الالله صلى الله عليه وسلموعليكوتهله صلى الل