Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Stampede the Wind

A lot of flooding going on around the country the past few days. Texas and Arkansas have been hit. I called my brother yesterday and they were safe on the farm, although there had been street flooding in Charleston and the nearby town of Lavaca. Paul David said the Arkansas River was as high as he'd ever seen it. I hope everyone will be safe.

We've had a lot of rain here as well, although we're more used to it. Louisiana gets 80 + inches of rain a year. Last night we had more heavy rain and a hard wind. Our back yard is a pool this morning and I had to feed the birds around the edges of it.

Around 4:00, I woke up to a banging sound and thought either something had hit the roof or the door to our tool shed had blown open. I grabbed a flashlight and went outside. I barely needed the flashlight because of non-stop lightning. I didn't see any bolts of lightning, just a strobe-light effect in the clouds.

The rain was mostly holding off for the moment. A few heavy drops. But the wind! It ran like a stampeding herd of mustangs through the trees. We are surrounded by trees, mostly pines, which reach very tall. When I looked up I could see the top of the pines bending over in a steady wind. But on the ground where I was it as only a little breezy. Even our trash cans didn't blow over.

I stood there in the dark a bit. I like the feeling of energy and power that a storm births into the world. Finally I went back inside and lay down. The wind rushed on, then slowed as if the stampede had finally passed us by. After a while I slept again, and dreamt of horses.

----
----


16 comments:

Angie said...

I hope the wind stays up high, and doesn't toss any branches down at your house. Stay safe!

Angie

Charles Gramlich said...

Angie, thankee

sage said...

Be safe. We are dry and have been debating turning on the sprinklers :(

BernardL said...

The wind in the forest is always the X factor in a storm that has unknown damage potential.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sage, we've been very wet for a couple of weeks now.

Bernard, yes, wind definitely is more scary than the rain or lightning to me

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Very nice, Charles. After the cuurent heat wave that has killed over a thousand people, we are bracing for rains and floods next month.

pattinase (abbott) said...

So much rain here. Last year, this community was a flood zone. Hoping it doesn't happen again.

Riot Kitty said...

Hope you stay safe in that weather. It's pretty miraculous, but makes me feel pretty ant-like. Nature is a truly amazing thing.

Charles Gramlich said...

Prashant, very sorry to hear that. Horrible. So many still suffer despite our advances.

Patti, lot of flooding near my home town in Arkansas but fortunately no one hurt.

Riot Kitty, yes, it overwhelms us all

Cloudia said...

Loved experiencing this through your words, Charles!




( '>
/))
//""

ALOHA from Honolulu,
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, thanks, glad you enjoyed

jodi said...

Charles-Isn't nature amazing and powerful? I am petrified of strong winds and thunder, but love a good snowstorm. Stay dry!

Snowbrush said...

From my time in Mississippi, I remember storms in summer as the only time the air got cool, but when the storm had passed, the heat would return and the humidity would be even worse.

Erik Donald France said...

Cool, man ~! Texas got ripped, for sure. Luckily, my "base of operations" is 942 feet above sea level (284 meters) -- mercifully. Nearby, a few previously drought-wizened trees keeled over at the edge of a goat pasture. A lot of people evacuated down the road apiece.

Charles Gramlich said...

Jodi, I find storms very energizing.

Snowbrush, yes, absolutely. They cool things down very briefly

Erik, glad you were safe!

Snowbrush said...

The Willamette Valley only gets 45" of rain, but it's all in the winter and spring, and usually in the form of drizzle. I had rather have your 80".