Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Discount Noir, and Bill Crider

Our blog colleague, Patti Abbott, is trying to get the news out about the fabulous collection called Discount Noir, which contains stories by Ed Gorman, Bill Crider, and James Reasoner, along with many other fine writers. In the interest of helping Patti spread the word, I’m hosting Bill Crider on my blog today with a short piece about his story in the collection, entitled “Their Fancies Lightly Turned.” Here’s……Bill.

When Patti Abbott asked me to write a story for Discount Noir, the first thing I thought of was a story I’d done a few years ago for Damn Near Dead. People often ask me if I ever intend to do anything more with the characters in that story, so I thought this would be a good chance to revisit a couple of them named Royce and Burl. They’re fun to write about, and I decided to give a little backstory about their meth dealing or something along those lines. Since the new story was to involve a big discount store, the next thing that occurred to me was that those places really have a problem with characters like Royce and Burl because those kinds of stores are where guys like them try to pick up some of their makings. After that, it was smooth sailing. I just put my characters in motion and let them carry the story through to the end. When I finished and looked it over, I liked the way it worked. It seemed to me to be a story about the kind of thing that could happen, or maybe does happen every now and then. I’d say more, but then this comment would wind up being longer than the story. Better for people to buy the book, read the story, and find out more for themselves.


-----
-----

27 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks to two of my favorite gents.

David Cranmer said...

A great story. One of the first I read.

Charles Gramlich said...

Patty, thankee.

David Cranmer, I still have a lot of good reading ahead of me.

Evan Lewis said...

We welcome the enlightenment, O Venerable One.

Steve Malley said...

Sounds fun! I so have to get this collection!

Paul D Brazill said...

It's a beaut of a story, too.

sage said...

Sounds interesting. Didn't you like my "short" post? I hit "post" after had deleted and decided to try to start over at reposting the photos.

Jodi MacArthur said...

Thanks for the heads up on the book. Sounds like some great writing in there.

Charles Gramlich said...

Evan, I can only assume it is Bill that you are addressing as venerable. Given his age and all. ;)

Steve Malley, I've only begun to scan the stories so far. I have so much to read.

Paul, glad to hear it. It's up pretty early in the book so I should get to it soon.

Sage, I thought it might be something like that, although you've always been...laconic. :)

Jodi, definitely some great writers.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Sounds intriguing, gotta add to the pile.

Evan Lewis said...

Yes indeed, Charles. Publicity for BEAT to a PULP: Round One billed Mr Bill as "the venerable Bill Crider," an appellation well deserved but seldom expressed. Now it's official.

Erik Donald France said...

Cool~adding to the Christmas gift lists~

Charles Gramlich said...

David J., our piles are all getting heavier eh.

Evan, I gotta feeling ain't much moss grows on Bill.

Erik, I could pretty easily spend all my salary on books. Geeze.

JR's Thumbprints said...

This sounds real interesting. What pisses me off is how I have to revisit one of those big discount stores every two weeks to purchase a limited supply of my allergy meds. I'm willing to bet it's because of characters like Royce and Burl.

Lana Gramlich said...

Sounds interesting!

laughingwolf said...

grats to all youse guyz! :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, and to you.

JR, I'm guessing you'd be right. Gotta like those character names eh?

Lana Gramlich, no you.

laughingwolf,quite a few of the blogosphere folks are in this one.

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great book. I will put it in my hubs stocking for Christmas and then get all the benefits of reading it and still look like a thoughtful wife.

jodi said...

Charles, sounds definately worth a read!

Charles Gramlich said...

Carole, you are indeed wise.

Jodi, danke!

j said...

It does sound like an interesting collection of stories. I like the title.

Charles Gramlich said...

Jennifer, it's a nice theme anthology concept.

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

Hi Charles,

Thanks for blogging about DISCOUNT NOIR. I was lucky to attend Bouchercon last month, and I hear Bill speak at one of the panels. This is a good year for me, as I have a story in DISCOUNT NOIR (called "Secret Identity"), and of course, you and I both have stories in the HINT FICTION anthology. I am thrilled to be in the company of such accomplished writers :-)

ivan said...

Out of my depth, though the the horrors from the materials of the real world seemed scary enough for me.

Charles Gramlich said...

Kathleen, no problem. Glad to do it. I'm looking forward to reading all these.

Ivan, the real world is far more horrible. I can handle fictional horror.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

This sounds fantastic! I didn't know anything about it so I'm glad you posted. I will definitely be looking into it!

Charles Gramlich said...

Ello, I like how Bill describes the story.