Then, a few days ago, I was casting around for my next large scale project and I knew I had two in various stages of completion, the already mentioned “Wraith,” and a work called The Razored Land. The latter is a post-apocalyptic piece and is already at 33,000+ words. When I’d left “Wraith” I had a pretty good idea of where I wanted to go next with the story. I didn’t have such a clear idea for “Razored,” so I opened my “Wraith” folder first and started to read. Within a few moments I was faintly misty-eyed as I began to recall all the hell I’d put Ruenn and Rannon through. And I realized how much I’d missed these characters.
The upshot of all this is that I’ve started working on Wraith of Talera again. To refamiliarize myself with the story thus far, I’m giving a very close read to what I’ve already got. I’m making some minor changes but not finding a lot that needs redoing. This should take a few days and then I’ll launch into the new material. I’m excited about it.
The book is about a third of the way done and my plan is to keep making at least slow forward progress on the book during the spring semester, then hit the accelerator during the summer and, hopefully, get it finished. We’ll see if that happens. We are in the middle of a job search at work, and I’m on the committee. The IRB committee, of which I’m chair, has been busier than ever. And Xavier is considering restructuring our departments so that too has to go on the pile. This is not counting my classes. I’m teaching the Writing in Psychology class this spring, which is a major time commitment. If all goes well, though, a new Talera book will be in the can by the end of 2013.
Wish me luck.